Derelict Sites Appeals
The owner of a Derelict Site can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal against the determination of the market value of that site made by the local authority.
- In accordance with section 22(4) of the Derelict Sites Act 1990, an owner of urban land can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal against a determination of the market value of a site as determined by a Local Authority under subsection 1 of section 22 of the Act.
- The Tribunal has the power to deal only with the determination of market value under this Act for the purposes of calculating the derelict sites levy imposed by the local authority.
- It is not empowered to deal with any other issues arising between the parties.
- The question of whether the requirements of the Act in relation to the entry of sites on the Derelict Sites Register have been complied with is not a matter for determination by the Tribunal.
- The Tribunal is not empowered to adjudicate between a property owner and a local authority as to whether a particular site is derelict. That is a matter for the property owner and the local authority to resolve together and the Tribunal has no role in it.
Making an Appeal
The right to appeal to the Tribunal arises following the determination of market value on a derelict site by a local authority under the Derelict Sites Act 1990 and the owner of the derelict site may appeal to the Tribunal against the determination of market value within 28 days from the date on which he/she receives the Notice of Determination of Market Value from the Local Authority.
To make an appeal, simply download the Notice of Appeal form. You should complete this form and submit it to the Valuation Tribunal within the statutory time limit (28 days) or alternatively, you may use the blank Notice of Appeal form issued by the Local Authority with the Notice of Determination of Market Value.
The Notice of Appeal form must be signed and dated and the appropriate fee must be attached.
Remember to read the Guidelines for Completion of Notice of Appeal before completing the form.
Fees payable in respect of derelict site appeal to the Valuation Tribunal
|Valuation of property as determined by the Respondent||Appeal Fee|
|Not exceeding €65,000||€60|
Exceeding €65,000 and
not exceeding €130,000